Search This Blog

Friday, March 23, 2012

Homemade Herbal Deodorant

I have always tried to find deodorants with healthy ingredients, but I’ve found that, unless you make it yourself, it can always be better. I have always put off making my own deodorant until I had more time or whatever excuse I could think of that day, but then I decided to include it in my Spring Cleaning week. I just take a little time to make all of my products at once. It ends up being a fun day and your house will smell amazing!

I found this recipe at The Angry Chicken. I only changed a few things. Here is exactly what I did.

To start…and I use this technique quite a bit when making homemade beauty products…I fill a medium sized pot about 1/2 full and put a glass bowl on top of the pot. Make sure the bowl is bigger than the pot so that it can be taken off easily. I made the mistake of finding a bowl that fit just right and then found that it has a nice suction to it when I tried to remove it. Turn the burn on, boil the water and then let it just simmer while you blend ingredients in the bowl. For this recipe, I put the following in the bowl and mixed well until melted.

3 Tablespoons shea butter
3 Tablespoons baking soda
2 Tablespoons corn starch
2 Tablespoons cocoa butter

Once these were melted, I put about 10 drops of Vitamin E oil. I know some people use the capsules, and just puncture them. My health food store had the oil in a dropper bottle, so I thought that would be easier. Mix well.

Turn off the burner and add your essential oils. I added

8 drops of patchouli
15 drops of lavender
6 drops of tea tree

Patchouli itself works as a deodorant, and lavender and tea tree are great smells and anti-bacterial. All of these oils are also good for your skin along with the shea and cocoa butters.
Mix well.
Pour into small glass jars or any container you like. I let mine sit in the refrigerator until it had hardened. To use, just rub your fingers around on the deodorant and apply.

No comments:

Post a Comment